Setting up Emergency Community Radio Stations in Flood Affected Areas of Bihar- Experiences; Referralson October 13, 2008 at 3:55 am
The Community Radio Forum, India and its partner organizations propose to set up temporary radio stations in the flood affected areas of Bihar to assist the local administration and provide the flood affected people with vital information through radio broadcasts on the following key areas:
1. Critical Flood and Emergency Warnings: to alert people in advance of possible further threat(s) in order to help them take preventive measures and/or direct them to safer areas.
2. Missing Person alerts: Hundreds of families have been separated in the flood emergency, with an unknown number of people missing, especially children. Emergency radio stations can play an important role in identifying and reuniting these families.
3. Information on Relief Measures: including information on locations and time of relief material distribution, medical camps etc.
4. Health alerts: for evacuees / flood victims including epidemic warnings, medical safeguards and first aid, sanitation and hygiene information, location of medical camps etc.
5. Providing Accurate Information: Countering unconfirmed information and rumours that can trigger panic among an already disturbed population. It becomes vitally important to maintain the flow of authentic and reliable information.